You will need PDF viewing software for your computer for the documents below. If you cannot open these files, please download
Adobe Acrobat to view them.
* Adult female and male zebra finches show distinct patterns of spine deficits in an auditory area and in the song system when reared without exposure to normal adult song.
J Comp Neurol. 2005 Jun 27;487(2):119-26.
PDF Link * Reproductive impairment in zebra finches (Taeniopygia guttata).
Environ Toxicol Chem. 2005 Jan;24(1):219-23.
PDF Link 2004
* Cannabinoid inhibition improves memory in food-storing birds, but with a cost.
Proc Biol Sci. 2004 Oct 7;271(1552):2043-8.
PDF Link* Where is the bird?
Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004 Jun;1016:778-86. Review.
PDF Link* Neural constraints on the complexity of avian song.
Brain Behav Evol. 2004;63(4):221-32. Review.
PDF Link* Female zebra finches require early song exposure to prefer high-quality song as adults.
Animal Behavior. 2004 Sep;68:1249-1255.
PDF Link* Long-term memory for spatial locations in a food-storing bird (Poecile atricapilla) requires activation of NMDA receptors in the hippocampal formation during learning.
Behav Neurosci. 2004 Feb;118(1):121-30.
PDF Link 2003
* Reversible inactivation of the hippocampal formation in food-storing black-capped chickadees (Poecile atricapillus).
PDF Link 2002
* Song and the song control pathway in the brain can develop independently of exposure to song in the sedge warbler.
Proc Biol Sci. 2002 Dec 22;269(1509):2519-24.
PDF Link * Septum volume and food-storing behavior are related in parids.
J Neurobiol. 2002 Jun 5;51(3):215-22.
PDF Link 2001
* The distribution of substance P and neuropeptide Y in four songbird species: a comparison of food-storing and non-storing birds.
Brain Res. 2001 Nov 9;918(1-2):80-95.
PDF Link 2000
* Variation in the volume of zebra finch song control nuclei is heritable: developmental and evolutionary implications.
Proc Biol Sci. 2000 Oct 22;267(1457):2099-104.
PDF Link* Expression of immediate early genes in the hippocampal formation of the black-capped chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) during a food-hoarding task.
Behav Brain Res. 2000 Sep;114(1-2):39-49.
PDF Link* Seasonal changes in neuron numbers in the hippocampal formation of a food-hoarding bird: the black-capped chickadee.
J Neurobiol. 2000 Sep 15;44(4):414-22.
PDF Link* Greater song complexity is associated with augmented song system anatomy in zebra finches.
Neuroreport. 2000 Jul 14;11(10):2339-44.
* Song, sexual selection, and a song control nucleus (HVc) in the brains of European sedge warblers.
J Neurobiol. 2000 Jul;44(1):1-6.
* Greater song complexity is associated with augmented song system anatomy in zebra finches.
Neuroreport. 2000 Jun 5;11(8):1749-54.
* Effects of captivity and testosterone on the volumes of four brain regions in the dark-eyed junco (Junco hyemalis).
J Neurobiol. 2000 Jun 5;43(3):244-53.
PDF Link* Differences in the complexity of song tutoring cause differences in the amount learned and in dendritic spine density in a songbird telencephalic song control nucleus.Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2000 May;73(3):274-81.
PDF Link 1999
* Sexual dimorphism and species differences in HVC volumes of cowbirds.
Behav Neurosci. 1999 Oct;113(5):1095-9.
PDF Link 1998
* Anterior forebrain pathway is needed for stable song expression in adult male white-crowned sparrows (Zonotrichia leucophrys).
Behav Brain Res. 1998 Nov;96(1-2):135-50.
* Non invasive in vivo anatomical studies of the oscine brain by high resolution MRI microscopy.
J Neurosci Methods. 1998 Jun 1;81(1-2):45-52.
* Lucifer Yellow filling of area X-projecting neurons in the high vocal center of female canaries.
Brain Res. 1998 Jul 13;799(1):138-47.
PDF Link 1996
* Evolutionary changes in a song control area of the brain (HVC) are associated with evolutionary changes in song repertoire among European Warblers (Sylviidae).
Biological Sciences. 1996 May 22;1370:607-610.
PDF Link 1995
* White-throated sparrow morphs that differ in song production rate also differ in the anatomy of some song-related brain areas.
J Neurobiol. 1995 Oct;28(2):202-13.
* Song isolation is associated with maintaining high spine frequencies on zebra finch 1MAN neurons.
Neurobiol Learn Mem. 1995 Jul;64(1):25-35.
* Developmental changes in the distribution of NADPH-diaphorase-containing neurons in telencephalic nuclei of the zebra finch song system.
J Comp Neurol. 1995 Jun 5;356(3):345-54.
* Regressive development in neuronal structure during song learning in birds.
J Neurobiol. 1995 Jun;27(2):204-15.
*Seasonal variation in hippocampal volume in a food-storing bird, the black-capped chickadee.
J Neurobiol. 1995 May;27(1):15-25.
PDF Link 1994
* Interactions between endocrinology and learning in the avian song system.
Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1994 Nov 14;743:19-41; discussion 41-3. Review.
* Relations between song repertoire size and the volume of brain nuclei related to song: comparative evolutionary analyses amongst oscine birds.
Proc Biol Sci. 1993 Nov 22;254(1340):75-82.
* Alteration of the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis (BNST) in young female Djungarian hamsters (Phodopus campbelli) exposed to adult males.
Behav Neural Biol. 1993 Nov;60(3):251-8.
* Effects of sex and androgen treatment on dendritic dimensions of neurons in the sexually dimorphic preoptic/anterior hypothalamic area of male and female ferrets.
J Comp Neurol. 1992 Sep 22;323(4):577-85.
* Altered daylength affects dendritic structure in a song-related brain region in red-winged blackbirds.
Behav Neural Biol. 1991 Nov;56(3):240-50.
* Lateral asymmetries and testosterone-induced changes in the gross morphology of the hypoglossal nucleus in adult canaries.
J Comp Neurol. 1991 May 1;307(1):65-76.
* Endocrine modulation of the development and adult function of the avian song system.
Psychoneuroendocrinology. 1991;16(1-3):41-66. Review.
* Recent findings on the development of dimorphic anatomy in the avian song system.
J Exp Zool Suppl. 1990;4:183-6.
* Genesis and death of vocal control neurons during sexual differentiation in the zebra finch.
J Neurosci. 1989 Sep;9(9):3176-87.
PDF Link* Synaptic plasticity in the hypoglossal nucleus of female canaries: structural correlates of season, hemisphere, and testosterone treatment.
Behav Neural Biol. 1989 Jul;52(1):63-77.
Morphology of Golgi-impregnated neurons in hyperstriatum ventralis, pars caudalis in adult male and female canaries.
J Comp Neurol. 1989 Jun 15;284(3):337-49.
* Song-related brain regions in the red-winged blackbird are affected by sex and season but not repertoire size.
J Neurobiol. 1989 Apr;20(3):139-63.
* Effect of testosterone on input received by an identified neuron type of the canary song system: a Golgi/electron microscopy/degeneration study.
J Neurosci. 1988 Oct;8(10):3770-84.
* Small sex differences in song control dendrites are associated with minimal differences in song capacity.
J Neurobiol. 1988 Apr;19(3):199-209.
* Steroid interactions with structure and function of avian song control regions.
J Neurobiol. 1986 May;17(3):177-201. Review.
* Synaptogenesis and changes in synaptic morphology related to acquisition of a new behavior.
Brain Res. 1985 Mar 11;329(1-2):304-8.
* Hormonal mediation of reproductive behavior.
J Exp Zool. 1984 Dec;232(3):605-16. Review.
*The avian song system: relating sex differences in behavior to dimorphism in the central nervous system.
Prog Brain Res. 1984;61:171-84. Review.
* Gonadal hormones induce dendritic growth in the adult avian brain.
Science. 1981 Oct 9;214(4517):202-4.
* Sex differences in dendritic morphology of a song control nucleus in the canary: a quantitative Golgi study.
J Comp Neurol. 1981 Feb 20;196(2):309-16.
* Distortions induced in neuronal quantification by camera lucida analysis: comparisons using a semi-automated data acquisition system.
J Neurosci Methods. 1981 Feb;3(3):285-94.
* Subsynaptic plate perforations: changes with age and experience in the rat.
Science. 1978 Dec 8;202(4372):1096-8.
* Sex differences in dentritic patterns in hamster preoptic area.
Brain Res. 1977 Apr 22;126(1):63-72.